It’s Meat Free Week this week (from 23rd – 29th March) and we’re absolutely on board. From the fantastic Instagram response, it’s so good to hear that many of you are too! It’s really easy to sign up and take part by visiting meatfreeweek.org.
In case you didn’t know, Meat Free Week (MFW) is all about creating awareness around how meat is farmed and how much meat we (over) consume in this country. For example, did you know that Brits eat more than double the world average?
Taking a week off meat may be easier for some than others… but in support of the occasion, we’re sharing some great recipes from some of our favourite healthy London eateries, including this one from Maple & Fitz…
TOFU ALMOND SOBA NOODLE BOWL
This is a deliciously nutty and easy to prepare vegetarian dish for tofu beginners and lovers alike! The creaminess of the almond butter and crunch of the toasted almonds balances the wonderfully chewy tofu, leaving you wanting more…
- 400g buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- a few pinches of sea salt
- 6 tbsp almond butter, 100g
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp water
- 30g flaked almonds
- 4 stalks spring onion, sliced
- handful of mint leaves
- 1 red chili (optional)
- Make the almond dressing by combining all the ingredients except the water and whisk until even. Add the water one tablespoon at a time until consistency is like double cream.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the noodles for 3-4 minutes until al dente. Drain thoroughly and rinse under cold running water. Toss in 1 tbsp olive to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Cut the tofu into ½ cubes and cook on medium high heat with olive oil and 2 pinches of salt until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add the noodles onto the pan for 30 seconds to reheat.
- Toss the warm noodles and tofu in almond dressing and garnish with almonds, spring onions, mint leaves and chili.