This rose scented chocolate mousse, from Jo Pratt’s brand new cookbook, In the Mood for Healthy Food – is rich and creamy, yet not as bad for you in comparison to your standard chocolate mousse. Instead of cream, Jo uses avocados, which give a thick creamy texture and also make this dessert dairy-free, much lower in saturated fat and loaded with antioxidants and omegas.
“As for the chocolate”, Jo says – “well providing you use a high cocoa solid chocolate (such as 70%) you’re consuming less sugar, even more antioxidants, iron and magnesium than other types of chocolate. In my book that makes this delicious chocolate mousse completely guilt-free!”
Turkish Delight Chocolate Mousse
Preparation time: 15 mins, plus 2 hrs chilling
- 75g/2. oz dark/bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 ripe small-medium avocado, peeled andpitted
- ¼ tsp rosewater, plus extra to taste
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped pistachio nuts
- a pinch of dried rose petals (optional)
- Gently melt the chocolate either in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or on a low heat in the microwave. Once melted, leave to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the agave syrup and continue whisking until they form firm peaks.
- Blend the avocado and rosewater with a hand blender until completely smooth, then mix into the chocolate. If the avocado isn’t smooth enough, you can press it through a sieve/fine mesh strainer using a spatula to remove any lumps.
- Mix in one spoonful of the egg whites to loosen the mixture, then gently fold in the rest.
- Spoon the mousse into glasses or dishes. Chill in the fridge for about 2 hours, then scatter with chopped pistachios and rose petals and serve.
PS… If you want to ring the changes and try something other than rosewater to flavour the chocolate mousse, you could add grated zest of 1 orange, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a few drops of coconut extract or a pinch of ground cardamom seeds.
Join Jo Pratt at Whole Foods Kensington on Wednesday 22nd July, for a free event to celebrate the launch of her brand new book. Register here.