You know what they say… Hummus is the gateway to everything else in your fridge. That is definitely something I can agree on.
Hummus is such a great thing to have in your fridge. It makes the perfect healthy snack to have with other vegetables or wholegrain bread. It is also great to dollop on top of your salad, especially if you are trying to avoid readymade dressings.
However, one also has to be careful buying readymade hummus, as many contain preservatives and other ingredients which aren’t beneficial or necessary.
Knowing a simple, bulletproof hummus recipe means you know exactly what’s going into it, which will benefit you and your healthy lifestyle. This recipe makes enough hummus to see you through the week (or longer). If you make it Sunday you’ll have easy access to lunch or snacks throughout the whole week.
Preparation: Overnight + 1 hr
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 500g chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 2-3 tbsp natural tahini (ground hulled sesame seeds)
- 150g butternut squash, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cumin
- pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 tbsp water
- After soaking the dried chickpeas overnight in cold water (12 hrs) drain out the water and place in a saucepan with twice the amount of water than chickpeas. Boil for 1 hour, then check that they are tender.
- Set aside 6 tbsp of the water which the chickpeas were boiled in (as you’ll add it to the ingredients later).
- In a food processor (e.g. a Nutribullet or Vitamix) blend the tahini and the lemon. After about a 1 minute you will have a creamy looking texture.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and blend. Don’t forget to add the 6 tbsp of water to get that smooth consistency. You can always add a bit more water if you feel it’s not smooth enough.
- Your perfect dip is now ready to be eaten!
Lauren Dangoor is passionate about living a healthy London lifestyle and cooking, and loves to blog about it. She shares her recipes and lifestyle via www.healthyremedy.co.uk/ and via Instagram @healthyremedy.