This dairy-free and gluten-free recipe for layered pistachio brownies makes them a lot more accessible for those intolerant to lactose and gluten. Sweetened with maple syrup, they’re also free from refined sugar! Lauren Dangoor talks us through the perfect healthy brownie recipe; a festive treat no less.
A perfect way to treat yourself after a long hard day, and very festive as well! Dessert is definitely one of my weak spots. I have had a sweet tooth every since my teeth appeared. So being healthy was definitely a struggle for me at the beginning. However, after experimenting with ingredients and alternative sweeteners, I was able to come up with perfect dairy free and gluten free brownies. If you are a fan or chocolate, then these are perfect for you. Just one piece is enough to satisfy a sweet tooth craving.
Layered Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pistachio Brownies
Preparation: 25 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 6 tbsp quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk (if allergic you could use the milk substitute you normally use)
- 1 tbsp dairy free choc flakes
- 100 g raw pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a food processor, add the quinoa flakes and cashew butter and blend
- Add almond milk and choc flakes and blend. Stop once the mixTure has formed a dough like consistency.
- Grease a small rectangular tin using coconut oil, then flatten the dough across the base making sure it’s not too thin.
- Ground the pistachios so that you have different sized pieces.
- Sprinkle on top of the base. Leave a bit to sprinkle on top of the brownie mix.
- 130 g Teff Flour (wholegrain and gluten free)
- 80g raw cocoa powder
- 4 egg whites
- 180 ml pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ -1 cup of almond milk- Unsweetened
- Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients until you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour on top of the base.
- Sprinkle any leftover pistachios on top.
- Place in oven for 25 mins and once done leave to cool before taking out the tin.
Follow Lauren on Instagram @healthyremedy or at www.healthyremedy.co.uk