The SBC Experience is going to be one of 2015’s main events, and one that will continue to shift the fitness mentality of Londoners. We asked Russell Bateman, the man behind the brand, for his no-excuse step by step morning routine to kickstart your day and the New Year.
1. Wake up: No checking your phone! Get into a downward dog for 40 seconds straight away, then to a cold shower. Your new morning ritual! Try it! It will wake you up like nothing else and has a host of hormonal benefits!
2. Hydration: Try a mix of coconut water, green tea and lemon. Coconut water is a great source of potassium, necessary for proper hydration. It contains electrolytes that are necessary to generate energy in the body. Choose the unflavoured, natural varieties; otherwise you might be consuming all that added sugar that you would get from fruit juice or fizzy drinks which you should avoid. Green tea speeds up the metabolism. The polyphenol found in green tea increases fat loss and lemon aids digestion.
3. Get energised: A juice or elixir… I love green juices for energy and vitality. No fruit involved, just the good green bits like kale and spinach. Add ginger and cayenne for a fat loss kick too! Spirulina is a remarkably potent antioxidant and offers a host of benefits for wellness and could be added. Maca can also help to balance out hormonal issues.
4. Breathe: Take 10 deep breaths in and out, breathing only through your nose. Instant endorphin fuelled energy boost.
5. All about the prep: Preparing your food for the day ahead is crucial. Pack a tupperware container with organic produce and snack on berries (hi antioxidant value), nuts (healthy fats and omega 3 content) and high protein foods. Raw vegetables are great too! Take a digestive enzyme and this protocol will reap benefits for energy, mood, brain function and get you leaner!